Hope Industrial Systems is pleased to announce that all 15″, 17″, and 19″ models of our Panel Mount and Universal Mount monitors and touch screens have been tested and certified by Underwriters Laboratories to meet the demanding requirements of UL 50E. The UL 50E Type ratings are equivalent to what is more commonly referred to in our industry as NEMA standards (e.g. NEMA 12, NEMA 4, and NEMA 4X). While most suppliers “self-certify” to NEMA standards, we have chosen to engage UL for official confirmation for our 15″, 17″, and 19″ monitors, assuring our customers that an independent testing agency has completely tested those designs.
What’s the difference between UL 50E and other UL ratings typically found on industrial monitors?
All Hope Industrial Systems Panel Mount monitors carry the safety rating UL 508 for use in electrical panels.
All Hope Industrial Systems Universal Mount monitors are rated to UL 60950 3rd Edition, a safety rating for information technology equipment.
So what exactly does UL test for Type 4 and 4X?
Most people think of Type 12, 4, and 4X as having to do with liquids getting inside the enclosure. While that’s a big part of it, there is also a lot more. UL actually performs an exhaustive suite of tests.
Following are some of the tests UL applies for Type 4 rating:
- Ultraviolet light exposure test
- Flammability test
- Hosedown test – a stream of water delivering 65 gallons per minute is directed at all joints from a distance of 10-12 feet moving at a rate of 1/4-inch per second. At Hope Industrial Systems, we have to use a fire hose to simulate this much water moving this fast! The enclosure shall be considered to have met the requirements if at the conclusion of the test no water has entered the enclosure.
- Rain test
- Drip test
- Dust test
- Outdoor corrosion protection
- Gasket tests (several)
- Tensile strength and elongation tests
- Compression test
- Oil immersion test
- Misalignment test – assures that the enclosure material is not easily distorted when conduit moves or vibrates.
For the Type 4X rating, in addition to the above, the enclosure must also pass a 200-hour salt spray test and not show pitting, cracking, or any other deterioration.
For more details, please visit our UL Certifications explainer page.